This article goes into the various different video solutions that integrate with and work within Microsoft SharePoint’s internal intranet products. If you are currently a SharePoint customer and looking to take advantage of all the amazing benefits that video brings to your internal communication strategy then you have come to the right place. In this short article we’ll lay out specifically how online video works within the SharePoint environment including hosting, embedding and user generated content, as well as share our top picks for the best online video platforms you should consider.
To get started, there are a few things to consider. When creating and sharing video for internal communications its first important to secure that content. Uploading videos to YouTube and Vimeo is an easy way to host and playback videos but it is far from being secure and in most cases will violate corporate security and compliance policies. Therefore you should build your internal video strategy around an online video platform that is designed to work in secure environments and best integrates with SharePoint out of the box.
Common features and things to consider when evaluating online video platforms (OVPs) for SharePoint:
- SharePoint Permissions Model and Active Directory to control access to key functions and content.
- Access Multiple OVP Accounts and manage configurations from within SharePoint lists.
- Manage Metadata for both SharePoint and the OVP concurrently and publish video players and playlists all from within the Sharepoint user interface.
- Supports uploading, recording, publishing, broadcasting live, managing video within SharePoint.
- Integrates with DAMs, CRMs, analytics services, video editing solutions
Online video platform specific features:
- HTML5 video player that supports playback on all devices and browsers including true adaptive streaming up to 4k resolution
- Simple click to live streaming for supporting live video broadcasts including webcam and screen recording as well as real-time mixing of video (live, on-demand, PowerPoint images, overlays)
- 360°/VR video with zooming for Live and On Demand
- Video portals and organizations websites that include search
- Video trimming and bumpers
- Multi-user accounts, Single Sign-On, access rights and roles
- Automatic captioning and transcriptions
- Advanced search and filters, including hierarchical sorting
- Rich metadata, categories, tags, custom fields
Here are a few online video platforms with the best integrations with SharePoint: